With so many lash enhancing options available to you, it can be confusing to figure out which method is right for you. In the lash world, the terminology gets tossed around so much it can be hard to even determine the differences between different lash methods. For instance, anytime you apply synthetic fiber lashes to your natural lash line, you are technically wearing “fake eyelashes,” however the term “fake eyelashes” commonly refers to strip eyelashes that are applied to your natural lash line with some type of adhesive, not the individual lash fibers applied by a salon professional. Those salon-applied lashes are called lash extensions.
Aside from synthetic eyelash enhancement, there’s also eyelash tinting, and eyelash serums. These are two other forms of eyelash enhancement that are easily mixed up with one another. Eyelash tinting refers to a method of dyeing your eyelashes with a semi-permanent dye which gives them naturally darker color until they naturally fall out. Eyelash serum refers to a group of products which claim to lengthen your lashes over time by its application to the base of your eyelashes.
If you’re confused, we understand. Doe Lashes has been in the lash game long enough to know the differences between all types of eyelash enhancement. We have our finger on the pulse of all things lash related, and because you’re our besties, we are happy to share this information with you. Doe Lashes delivers handcrafted, Korean silk fiber fake eyelash strips which are:
- Completely comfortable. Our lashes feature a 100% cotton lash band and fibers to lightweight you’ll forget they’re even on your lids.
- Reusable. If properly cared for and stored, a set of Doe Lashes will last for up to fifteen uses.
- Affordable. Our lashes are under $15.00, which means it costs you less than a dollar per use.
- Clean and vegan. We never test our lashes on animals, and we use only high-grade, hypoallergenic glue that is safe for the environment and your eyes.
- Fun. We offer lash strips in different styles from extremely low key to fairy-like and whimsical. There’s a Doe Lash for every occasion, every mood, every outfit.
- Easy. You don’t need an advanced eyelash diploma to successfully apply a set of Doe Lashes, in fact, you don’t even need prior experience. You can get your lashes on and off with ease because we make them easy for you to use.
Now that you know a little more about us, let’s talk a little more about the key differences between fake eyelashes and lash extensions, so you can decide which is the best option for you. Once we’re done, you should know these two eyelash enhancement methods like the back of your hand; but don’t worry; there won’t be a quiz later, we promise.
What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are best described as synthetic eyelash fibers applied by a salon professional. Salon eyelash professionals will use a commercial grade glue (kind of like super glue) to apply individual eyelash fibers to each of your own natural eyelashes. Essentially, the fake fibers piggyback onto your natural lash fibers with a heavy duty glue bond. The lash fibers can be made of different materials to create different looks. Different fibers cost different amounts, and the number of lashes you have placed determine the total cost as well.
The application process is often tedious. The initial set of lash extensions (referred to as a “full set”) will take several hours to apply. During this time, you’ll be in a salon chair with a shield covering your eye so that the eyelash professional doesn’t get glue or eyelash fibers in your eye. Getting a glue covered eyelash fiber in your eye would be a really bad situation.
Here are some fast facts about getting eyelash extensions so you can be in the know.
- They aren’t cheap. Depending on the style of fibers you choose, you can expect to pay anywhere between $150-$300 or more for your initial full set of lashes. That does not include a tip for the salon professional who applies them. The going rate for eyelash extension services is a 20% tip.
- You’ll need fills. A fill refers to eyelash extension maintenance. You’re going to need a fill in as little as three weeks. The eyelash fibers that are attached to your natural lashes fall out when your natural lashes fall out. Your natural lash cycle is about two to three weeks, so in that time frame, you’ll need to have more lashes applied.
- A fill session costs money too. You can expect to pay between $50-$150 per fill. It really depends on how many additional lashes you want placed and the type of fibers you choose. And you’ll need to tip your salon professional for fills, too.
- You can’t rub or touch your eyelashes. You can get them wet when you wash your face, but generally speaking you shouldn’t go for a swim and you definitely shouldn’t rub, touch, or otherwise go near them. You could inadvertently pull on the fibers and rip them out, along with your natural lashes.
- They take a long time to apply. You can expect to sit in the salon chair for about two to three hours for the first application. For fills, it should take half an hour to an hour and a half.
- Your style is locked in. No matter what, you’re locked into your lash style until your natural lashes fall out. This means if you would rather have a more glamorous look for a special occasion, you’re out of luck. Once the lash fibers are on, they’re on for good.
- Safety. There’s been a lot of discussion as to whether or not eyelash extensions are safe and whether they cause your natural lashes to fall out sooner than they normally would.
Eyelash extensions can give you the long, voluminous lashes you’ve always wanted, but they do come with a price tag and some serious safety concerns. Let’s compare them to fake eyelashes.
What Are Fake Eyelashes?
For the purposes of our discussion, “fake eyelashes” will refer to false eyelashes that you apply and remove from your natural lash line on a daily or as-needed basis. These are removable, reusable, and easy to use. They are typically much lower in price, with some high-quality, handmade lash bands (like Doe) costing only $12.50 per pair.
This method of eyelash enhancement is done by you at home. You won’t need a professional to apply them, and you can remove them yourself when you are done wearing them. They take very little time to apply and remove, and are easily worn for countless hours before removal.
Here are some fast facts about fake eyelashes.
- They’re quick. The entire application process takes less than five minutes. If you aren’t sure you’ll be able to do it, here’s a great tutorial. Once you’ve applied your makeup, you simply remove the lash strip from its packaging, apply a thin line of glue to the band, and attach it to your natural lash line. That’s it, and you are ready to get on with your day.
- They’re removable. Want lashes for a special occasion but not for the rest of the week? Fake eyelashes are the way to go. You can wear a great set of fake eyelashes when you want lash enhancement, and remove them when you don’t.
- They evolve with your own style. You can pick your lash style to match your mood, your event, or your outfit. You aren’t locked into one particular style because you can easily change out your lashes at home.
- They’re safe for your natural lashes. Fake eyelashes don’t actually adhere to your natural lashes; they attach just above your natural lashes on your lash line. This means you don’t have to worry about them interfering with your own natural lash growth.
- They’re cost effective. Doe Lashes are less than $13.00 and reusable up to fifteen times. You can literally have beautiful lashes daily for less than a dollar. And unless you just want to, you don’t have to give yourself a 20% tip, you can just give yourself a high five.
- They’re done at home. You don’t have to travel to and from a salon to have them applied. You can apply them yourself at home in your pajamas. This saves a ton of time and energy.
The eyelash enhancement industry is booming like never before, and it’s up to you to decide which method of lash enhancement is right for you, your time, your money, and your budget. You can get a great set of lashes that stay put all day and feel completely weightless by simply applying a great set of fake eyelashes in the comfort of your own home. This saves you time and money and also allows you to decide what styles you want to wear on a daily basis. Doe Lashes is a great resource not only for high-quality lashes, but also for your up-to-the-minute lash enhancement information.